Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) is the Government’s Standard Assessment Procedure for Energy Rating of Dwelling. It’s used to demonstrate the compliance for dwellings with Part L of the Building Regulations.
It is a legal requirement that a Design Stage SAP calculation is completed before any construction begins.
The principal steps in undertaking a SAP calculation are as follows:
- Determine the overall dwelling dimensions
- Calculate the rate of ventilation
- Calculate the heat losses
- Calculate the water heating energy requirements
- Determine the internal gains
- Determine the solar gains
- Determine the mean internal temperature
- Determine the degree days
- Calculate the useful space heating requirement and then the delivered energy for this and for water heating
- Determine the fuel costs from the delivered energy figures
- Calculate the SAP rating
- Calculate the carbon dioxide emissions